Do I require insurance as a renter (tenant)?

Recent natural disasters have underscored the importance of being insured.  But what about if you're renting a property rather than owning it?  What kind of insurance is necessary, and what does the rental providers (landlord's) policy cover?  Let's briefly examine the significance of insurance and clarify which aspects are covered by the renter’s (tenant's) and rental provider’s (landlord's) policies in case of accidents or disasters.


Landlord insurance

Landlord insurance typically covers the structure of the property you're renting, safeguarding it against damage and disasters beyond your control.  This insurance should handle the expenses of rebuilding or repairing the property if significant issues arise.  However, it's important to note that rental provider (landlord) insurance solely applies to the structure itself and does not include coverage for the contents inside. This underscores the necessity for renters (tenants) to obtain their own personal contents insurance.


Contents insurance

Contents insurance provides coverage for the damage, theft, or loss of various personal belongings housed within a property.  In a rental scenario, it falls under the responsibility of the renter (tenant), as it protects their personal items. This coverage typically includes protection against break-ins, fires, floods, and other unforeseen incidents that could result in the loss or damage of possessions beyond the renter’s (tenant's) control.  Some policies may even extend coverage to the possessions of visitors, potentially safeguarding their items in the event of an incident.  Indeed, contents insurance is a crucial form of protection that every renter(tenant) should acquire to shield themselves from unexpected circumstances.

To acquire contents insurance, you typically assess or itemise the value of your belongings and select a policy that adequately covers their value or offers full replacement coverage. It's advisable to individually note specific valuable items and include them in your policy for comprehensive coverage.

The cost of contents insurance can fluctuate based on various factors such as the type of residence, its location, and its level of security.  For instance, ground floor units may incur slightly higher premiums compared to upper floors due to the increased risk of break-ins associated with their positioning. Your chosen insurer can discuss all the finer details of the policy with you.

Top of Form


What's the key point to remember?

  • ·        Landlord insurance doesn't extend to cover your belongings, a common oversight made by many renters (tenant).  As a renter (tenant), it's essential to have contents insurance, which safeguards your possessions from damage and loss. Additionally, thoroughly review any insurance policy to understand which items are covered and the circumstances where coverage may not apply.

At Equity Property Management, our dedicated property managers prioritise fostering strong relationships with both renters (tenants)and rental providers (landlords).  We understand that as a renter (tenant), the property you inhabit is your home.